SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- Each week the Ozarks Sports Zone team will rank the top teams in the Ozarks. Rankings are based on dominance by class.
BEST OF WEEK 4 PHOTOS
TOP WEEK 4 FAN PHOTOS
(Previous week's ranking and current week's record in parenthesis)
- Lamar (1) (4-0) – Another week, another dominating win for the Tigers. Nearly 500 total yards in a 48-7 win at Mt. Vernon. 5-0 is all but a lock as “the brotherhood” travels to 1-3 Butler this Friday.
- Webb City (2) (3-1) – Following a big win over Republic last week the Cardinals have now beaten their first two COC Large opponents by a margin of 91 to 13. Don’t expect this week’s trip to fellow unbeaten Nixa to be quite so one sided. Then again, the Cardinals should be considered a substantial favorite until proven otherwise.
- MV-BT/Liberty (3) (4-0) – The Cardinals knocked out a little TCB Friday with a 47-13 win over Ava. Next on the agenda is a home meeting with SCA challenger Willow Springs, followed by a trip to the reigning conference champs from Mountain Grove; one of Liberty’s only two regular season losses last season.
- Bolivar (4) (4-0) – We’ve reached that point in the season when the Liberators must challenge themselves. Friday’s 48-0 blanking of Hollister proved how talented they are. Despite a challenging non-conference slate Coach Roweton’s crew likely won’t be heavily tested again until week 9 when they host fellow unbeaten Reeds Spring.
- Strafford (5) (4-0) – We didn’t get a chance to see the Indians this week, but if the box score is any indication they were their usual dominant selves. While I’ve been questioned for questioning their defense it should be noted this year’s squad has already allowed 11 points more (78) than the first 10 games last season (67). At this point a win is a win, but they will need to lock it down by the district semifinals week 11.
- Mtn. Grove (6) (4-0) – The Panthers outdueled Willow Springs 42-28 Friday night. Up next, back to back home games with Cabool and MV-BT/Liberty with a heavy eye on the latter. If you’re looking for an edge in the week 6 SCA Showdown just look at their one common opponent. MG beat Ava 33-20. Liberty beat the Bears 47-13. Just sayin’.
- Nixa (8) (4-0) – The Eagles were plenty dominant in Friday’s 35-0 win at Willard, but don’t think that’s all they’ve got. It appeared Coach Rehagen’s crop pumped the breaks midway through the second quarter. The defense wasn’t about to ruin their shutout, but it seemed as though the offense didn’t want to give away too much with Webb City visiting the Eagles nest this week.
- Reeds Spring (9) (4-0) – The Wolves’ offense has been stellar, averaging 40 points per game, including a 48-spot dropped on Buffalo last week. The defense has been good enough, but allowing 21 points per game should be an area of emphasis the next four weeks leading up to the long awaited trip to Bolivar on October 25th.
- Skyline (10) (4-0) – What’s all this talk about rebuilding? The Tigers haven’t skipped a beat since last season. Friday’s 42-13 victory at Pleasant Hope marked their 14th win in 17 games. The three losses coming to top 5 ranked teams. The next two opponents are a combined 0-8. Get healthy and get ready because the next two are against undefeated Ash Grove and Strafford.
- Kickapoo (NR) (4-0) – I picked Kickapoo to win the Ozark Conference, but then I picked Camdenton to win last week. Kickapoo wins to prove me both right and wrong. My head is spinning a bit with this bunch, but a few things are for sure. They’re well coached, talented and balanced. It’s a short week with a Thursday trip to rival Glendale, but be sure to circle your calendar for October 4th when the Poo visits Hillcrest for the first time since an 18-15 win at the Hill in 2006.