The OzarksSportsZone team will compile the area's top 10 teams each week of the season. The rankings are based on dominance by class.
WEEK 5 ROUNDUP
PICTURES: BEST OF WEEK 5
(Last week in parenthesis)
1. Webb City (1) – The Cardinals proved they were indeed human last week, leading Nixa by a mere 13-7 halftime margin. However, order was restored in the 2nd half as the 2-time defending state champs reeled off 36 points on a team that had allowed just 9 points in its first 16 quarters of the season, to win 49-21. Expect the Cardinals to make it 87 straight regular season wins this week at Willard.
2. Cassville (2) – The class 3 3rd ranked Wildcats had the exact opposite week of Webb City. Cassville raced out to a 21-3 halftime lead, before holding off Carl Junction for a 34-24 win Friday night. A couple straight close calls for Coach Large’s crew. They will need to be on point this week as they visit 4-1 Big 8 contender Monett.
3. Skyline (3) – The Tigers have been as dominant as anyone in the state so far, including Friday’s 59-22 non-conference win at Appleton City, one in which they scored 52 points in the first half. Skyline faces its biggest test to date this week, hosting 4-1 Ash Grove.
4. Strafford (4) – The Indians’ dream season continued Friday night with a 59-0 blanking of Pleasant Hope. The Indians have shutout 3 of their 5 opponents this season, including the last 2. Expect Strafford to bring its “A game” this week as they visit long time rival Fair Grove.
5. Ozark (6) – Like the 4 teams ahead of them, the Tigers have been flat out dominant in their 5-0 start. The Tigers pounced to a 27-0 halftime lead at Willard last week, before putting on the cruise control for a 35-6 COC Large road win.
6. Miller (8) – The Cardinals brushed off a near-upset Friday, needing a last minute Dalton Gulick to Derrick Estell touchdown to hold off Lockwood 42-36. Focus could be an issue, and understandably so for a team who had been averaging 43 to 7 wins. The Redbirds hit the SRVC road this week at Pierce City in the KSPR Game of the Week.
7. MV-BT/Liberty (7) – The Eagles bounced back from a loss at Ava with a 48-14 statement win at Willow Springs. Liberty is our highest ranked team with a loss, but they will need a win hosting fellow top 10 Mountain Grove this week to stay in the rankings.
8. Hillcrest (9) – Juwan Johnson and Jonah Hill scored 4th quarter touchdowns to lead the Hornets to a thrilling 43-40 comeback win over previously undefeated Lebanon Friday night. The Hornets now find themselves in the theoretical Ozark Conference driver’s seat, but will have a short week to prepare for a trip to Kickapoo Thursday.
9. Mountain Grove (NR) – The Panthers have been one of the Ozarks’ biggest surprises, off to a 5-0 start after Friday’s 44-19 win over neighboring Cabool. 1st year head coach Rich Johnson has a talented stable of runners. Of course like the above MV-BT/Liberty, MG will need a win this week to stay in the top 10.
10. Parkview (NR) – You talk about surprise starts, Parkview is the definition. The Vikings picked up a validating 35-28 marquee win at OC power Camdenton Friday. Coach Hays’ club now joins Hillcrest as the lone unbeaten squads in the Ozark Conference. The Green Machine hosts Glendale this week in the KY3 Game of the Week.
Knocking on the door: Nixa, Lebanon, Sarcoxie, Salem, Monett